Where to buy
Premium White Bread Mix
- 500g Wright's Premium White Bread Mix
1 Size 4 Egg
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Mixed Spice
220ml Warm Water
Icing Sugar for Dusting
MAKING BY HAND
- Make up a dough using the bread mix, half the beaten egg, butter, sugar, spice and water. Save the other half of the egg for use later as an egg wash.
- Rest for 5 minutes.
- Blend in the currants and sultanas, divide dough into 2, mould into balls and rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll one dough ball out to a 20 x 24cm sheet and place in a 4-sided baking tray. Egg wash lightly.
- Roll out the marzipan and cover the first dough sheet - egg wash lightly.
- Roll out the second dough ball and use to cover the marzipan. Prick the dough with a fork and use remaining egg to wash the top.
Cover with a damp tea towel; lightly oiled plastic or polythene and leave to rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes until doubled in size.
Remove the cover before baking
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C, 425°F, Gas Mark 7 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Remove from tin and put on a wire tray to cool.
Allow to cool completely, dust with icing sugar and cut into fingers.